The tips instead of being individually laid out will be grouped into 3 basic things you could do to become better at using the internet.
First thing is to KNOW, what do we mean by that? To know that there are specific websites on the internet that could help you depending on your needs is a way to get better at using it. As a specific example, if you are student or academic looking for more relevant turn outs for your searches you should know to consider using google scholar where results shown will range from academic articles to research papers. The thing with the internet is that it is so vast that there are a thousand things to KNOW and to get better, one just has to keep knowing.
The next thing to help you when browsing the internet is to EVALUATE, evaluate everything you come across. As fake news has plagued most traditional media it has done the same to the internet. Not everything we come across on the internet is true and morally upright. That is why we should always evaluate to avoid falling into certain pitfalls caused by non-evaluated harmful information. We should always think first and evaluate.
The last thing would be to ACT. What do we do with certain information that we know and have evaluated? The answer is to ACT, may that be, avoiding fake news sites to browsing and searching only for legal and non-disruptive information. We must always act with the information we receive and possess in a way that is beneficial to not only ourselves but others as well.
The second part of this blog will consist of small steps we can take to be more secure when using the internet. To protect yourself when using the internet the author recommends that we take steps from before to during to after using it. Here is a list of things you can do:
- Make sure you have updated and working antivirus software, as this will help protect you in case of attacks.
- Using a VPN is optional when you want to protect the data and information you put out and obtain from it. Basically a VPN helps you maintain security by encrypting your data and internet requests.
- Keep your choice of browser and its plugins updated, this will help prevent attacks which an outdated browser might be susceptible to.
- Know the danger of the internet!
- Do not randomly click links that pop-up without reading and understanding them, as a lot of scams and viruses are hidden in pop-ups. Being mindful of them would help secure your internet time.
- In the case that you are suspicious of a website or piece of information, search it up and look for accounts and reviews to make sure that it is legit and safe before going into that website or trusting that information.
- Turning on private browsing allows you to search the cyberscape without being tracked by most websites, allowing for more security.
- Always be wary of anything that asks for personal and sensitive information.
- Make sure to log out of all accounts especially if the device you are using is not yours this prevents your accounts from being compromised.
- Backup your data, this ensures that in the event your data is compromised you will have backups of them that you can use.
- Always evaluate whatever you post to avoid any negative impacts to you or your immediate family.
- Remember to spend time outside the internet as the world does not revolve around it. This will help prevent you from getting addicted to using it.
Taking extra precaution and keeping safe never hurt anyone. That is why the author suggests and promotes that the next time you, the reader, use the internet, you remember to KNOW, EVALUATE, and ACT while keeping tabs on the list of safety tips.